This week we begun investigating our bodies using
an x-ray window to explore and discover different body parts, bones and
tendons. During group time Educator initiated discussions
encouraged our children to feel their hands and share what they thought they
were made of. Our children began to bend, flex, count and touch their
hands. When asked “What do you think is under
the skin on your hands?” Summer replied “I can feel finger bones!” Hudson added
“Bones” Obi shared “Yeah bones, they are hard” (Learning Outcome 1).
Before turning the x-ray window on I held up and
x-ray “Who has seen one of these before?” lots of little voices echoed “I have!”
“I've got some of those,” “Yep I've seen them.” I asked our children “Do you
know what they are called?” Santai informed everyone that “They are x-rays!” (LO1).
We then turned on our x-ray window and put an
x-ray of a hand on it for everyone to see. Freya said “Wow, you can see through
it!” We took our time examining the hand in the x-ray window and collectively counted
each ‘finger bone.’ As a group it was concluded that we have 27 ‘finger bones’
in each hand (LO4).
After a demonstration all of our children engaged
in tracing their own hand. They referred to the hand in the x-ray window, fostering them in expressing their ideas, making meaning, and identifying the many ‘finger bones’ as they explored this drawing experience (LO5).
Amelia concentrated as she traced her hand, looking back and forth from the x-ray window as she added each bone "Look, I did my finger bones! I counted 27!" Amelia then added some flowers to her picture as she continued to explore and understand the various ways in which concepts and ideas can be represented (LO5.4).
Obi manipulated and managed his pencil (LO3.2) as he traced around his hand and added the 'finger bones.' Obi said to the Educator "Jodi, can you show me how to write 27 finger bones?" Jodi modelled the writing process as Obi watched on. He asked "Can I use that one you've done to write on mine?" Jodi replied "Of course." Obi demonstrated persistence with this task as he commented "This is a bit hard!" He showcased his developing literacy abilities and shared his success "Look Santai, I did the letter things!" (LO1.3).
After tracing her hand - Matilda picked up her drawing tools and moved right in front of the x-ray window "I need to see these bones properly" she said as she sat down. After closely examining the x-ray Matilda said to her Educator "I have enough finger bones. I want to do the letters. I know some letters already Jodi." Matilda then moved over to where Obi was sitting and referred to the modelled writing. "I can do a number two and a seven by myself. I just want to see the letters." Matilda drew on her knowledge and previous experiences as she constructed meaning and experimented with different ways of expressing ideas (LO5.3/4).
Noah was a keen participant in our 'finger bone' drawing experience. He decided to trace both of his hands "Look...Gem me did two hands on mine!" On the left hand side of his drawing you can see Noah's exploration of number writing. This experience supported Noah as he explores images and approximations of letters to convey meaning (LO5.3).






No comments:
Post a Comment